Thursday, May 01, 2008

181. I Hate Performing CPR, But...

Today I witnessed a near automotive accident on my way to work. Someone who wasn't paying attention almost plastered himself against a moving van as everyone was stopping in traffic.

Car accidents are cool. Provided no one is hurt, they can be quite entertaining. How else do you explain crash-up derbies? Anyway, I found myself hoping the inattentive driver would stay inattentive just long enough to have a non-life-threatening collision so I could Call 911 and shout:


MAYDAY! MAYDAY!

Somehow this idea seemed good at the time, but in retrospect, maybe it wouldn't have been so amusing, not to the dispatcher anyway. Case in point: just four (4) weeks ago my whole carpool witnessed the same type of accident on the same part of the freeway at the same time of day. It was like pre-ja-vu©. If I had the May Day joke locked and loaded then, it would have been just stupid.

Here's what happened, a mere boy was driving along in his mom's Hyundai, minding his own business, when a traffic jam came out of nowhere and slammed into the front of his car. I stopped my car fully prepared to have to administer life-saving first aid. The Hyundai driver hit a Nissan Pathfinder hard enough that the Nissan impacted the next car with enough force to activate the airbags in the Nissan. It takes a lot of speed to create the force necessary for a Hyundai to do that to a Nissan Pathfinder.

PSA: Don't get in an accident.

The odd thing about the accident is that the Highway Patrolman took my information so he could call me as a witness, but he never called. Maybe I'm not the witness he was looking for. Maybe it was an open and shut case. Maybe the officer reads my blog and thought better of relying on me for anything. Maybe I was too eager. I should have been more vulnerable-looking. Maybe I came on too strong. Whatever it was, officer, you can't tell me you'll call me and then let me wait by the phone for four (4) weeks. PIG! Just pick up the phone already! At least tell me where we went wrong. That's not too much, is it?

Anyway, I did call 911 that day, but it wasn't May Day, so I couldn't use my joke. Personally I'm hoping to get to use my line one day, but not for me, for someone else. If I ever have to use it for myself, chances are no one will believe me because of this post.

1 comment:

MG said...

That's crazy, a traffic jam almost crashed into the front end of my car not too long ago. Despite the traffic jam's recklessness, I was alert enough to avoid an accident.